History of Carroll
Archbishop Carroll High Schools' history begins in 1967, originally two separate secondary schools, Archbishop John Carroll for Boys and Archbishop John Carroll for Girls. The two schools became co-educational in September 1986, assuming the name, Archbishop John Carroll High School.
One of the youngest of the high schools in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, our school honors the name of Archbishop John Carroll, the first American bishop. As a man of piety, patriotism, and great intellect, Archbishop Carroll promoted spiritual and cultural growth in our nation during a critical and formative period (1776-1815) in American history.
In 1993, open enrollment in the archdiocesan schools enabled the Carroll community to embrace an even larger and more diverse area of the diocese, opening its doors to students from Delaware, Montgomery, Chester, and Philadelphia counties, representing more than 75 archdiocesan parishes and communities.
For 50 years, the Carroll community has been an integral part of the mission of the Church of Philadelphia. A dedicated and professional staff of archdiocesan priests, sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart, Sisters of St. Joseph, laywomen and men devote countless hours and energy to the ongoing mission of Catholic education.